The sanctuary is believed to have been established in the late 1890’s. The church was erected on a parcel of land called the Haynes’ tract, more specifically, the Benjamin Haynes’ tract in the year of our Lord 1905 at which time the ground breaking ceremony was held. In 2000 a two acre parcel was donated to the church by Sis. Mary Wright Pringle in memory of her daughter Virginia Albertha Pringle. Hopewell is located on its original site; however, the structure has been renovated over the years.
The founder of Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church is controversial; however, it has been established that Rev. Monday Armstrong was one of its pioneers. There were other families who were ardent supporters during Hopewell Church early inception. Among them were: the Browns, Cuttinos, Grahams, Greenes, Langs, Langleys, Porters, Pringles, Reeds, Scotts, Sessions, and Wrights. These families worked from the sweat of their eyebrows to build a sanctuary to glorify God and to fellowship with one another.
This church received its name from our spiritually guided forefathers. Hope meaning “ anchor of the soul” and Well meaning “of water springing into everlasting life”. Thus the name Hopewell was derived. Over the past eleven decades, eight pastors have served as leaders of this church. The ministers who led the flock were Rev. Samuel Commander, Rev. Henry Moses, Rev. John Miller, Rev. F.H. Simon, Rev. Peter Hunter, Rev. Henry B. Peoples, Rev. Boyd McDaniels, Jr., and presently Rev. Levi Washington who formerly served under the leadership of Rev. Boyd McDaniels and as interim pastor. Rev. Levi Washington served as Interim Pastor of Hopewell from February 2013 until August 2014; however, on August 11, 2014, Hopewell elected its eighth pastor. Rev. Washington was elected as Hopewell new pastor. He preached his first sermon as pastor of this church on Sunday, August 17, 2014. Installation Service was held for Rev. Levi Washington on October 26, 2014 at 4:00P.M. Rev. Jimmy Brockington, Moderator of the Jerusalem Baptist and Education Association, officiated along with the Executive Board.